Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What would Hell be like?

I imagine it'd be like this.
Rom Houben was misdiagnosed as being in a vegetative state after a car crash left him totally paralyzed.

But, in actuality, he was trapped in his own body the whole time with no way of letting friends and family know he could hear every word they were saying.

The 46-year-old, who can now tap out computerized messages and read books on a device above his hospital bed, has revealed: "I screamed, but there was nothing to hear.

"All that time I literally dreamed of a better life. Frustration is too small a word to describe what I felt," he said. "I shall never forget the day when they discovered what was truly wrong with me — it was my second birth. I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer and enjoy life now people know I am not dead."

His misdiagnosis was discovered by neurological expert, Dr. Steven Laureys, who fears there may be similar cases all over the world.
I read this story and I think of the Metallica song One. I truly cannot imagine being trapped for 23 years ... 23 YEARS ... without being able to communicate at all. I'm surprised the guy isn't totally insane at this point, and to think that other people might be in a similar condition? WTF!

No comments: