Monday, October 12, 2009

Real concerns: Like rain.

Will world end in 2012? Article discussing the belief that the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world at the end of 2012.
The inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.
But here is the money quote (bold emphasis mine):
"If I went to some Mayan-speaking communities and asked people what is going to happen in 2012, they wouldn't have any idea," said Jose Huchim, a Yucatan Mayan archaeologist. "That the world is going to end? They wouldn't believe you. We have real concerns these days, like rain."
Damn skippy. This is what I can't understand about the "end of days" folks. If I recall correctly, and I most certainly do (so don't tell me I don't), Jesus said (in Matthew 24:36, RSV): "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." I don't know how much clearer that can be. No one knows, and frankly no one should care! Yes, live your life as if you may not have a tomorrow ... because you might not. It's solid advice. But live it not out of fear of some impending doom, live it because it's worth enjoying it! You get one life, make the most of it!

3 comments:

Genomic Repairman said...

Dude I hope the mayam apocalypse is not upon us. I'm too much of a pussy to deal with the end of days. Actually I would probably just stay in the lab and do experiments as fiery flying skulls pass by the window. Thanks to the stupid open lab design and no doors I would have to fend off zombies while loading a gel. The only good news with this is if all these scientists die off I might get something published in Science. "You couldn't publish this if you were the last scientist alive.". Well I'm the last one and I've got a slamming paper bitch.

Tom said...

LOL. I've considered what I would do if some doomsday scenario came about. I think I'd likely be eaten. I doubt there will be any use for someone with experience in confocal microscopy and real time PCR. My agricultural skills are bare, and that would be my only saving grace!

If you're calling dibs on Science, I have dibs on Nature!

Genomic Repairman said...

Sounds like a plan I'll review for you and you review for me and maybe one day we can be editors.