Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Astronomy Update

Well, the perseid meteor shower wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. I think it was a combination of light pollution, since from my house Perseus was directly over the city I live near, and the fact that I just couldn't stay up past 1 am. Went to the Astronomy Club get together though and got my first taste of a real telescope. Got to see Jupiter in an XT10 Dobsonian. Was able to once again make out the 4 moons and this time, two of the bands. I think I'm in love.

Also got to take in the M13 cluster with a C14 Schmidt-Cassegrain. I also was able to (I think) make out my first constellation, Cassiopeia. When I wasn't staring at Cassiopeia, I was taking in the Summer Triangle. Overall, it was a good night of star gazing. The weather certainly cooperated.

No comments: