Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I did it!

I biked into work today. Eight miles in a shade over 30 minutes. It wasn't too bad this morning, saw maybe a couple dozen cars on my ride in. I'm not sure what it's going to look like later this afternoon when I head home around 3:30 - 4:00. There are a couple of places where there is absolutely no shoulder whatsoever, so I have nowhere to go if someone doesn't give me enough room ... well, except down into a ditch. Hopefully drivers will be courteous and give me wide berth. Most of them did this morning, so here's to hoping the afternoon drivers are just as good.

I'd be doing somewhat better if I was feeling 100%. Spent part of the day at the beach on Monday and wound up with sunburn on the back of my knees, and then pulled my calf playing softball last night though it was a good night at the plate (3 for 5, 1 HR, 3 RBI) and in the field so I suppose I'll take it.

At any rate, I hope to keep this biking trend going. Not only does it help me reduce my carbon footprint, it allows me to give my wife my car which has better gas mileage than her beast. With gas hitting almost $4/gallon, we need to find a way to save some money ... and this is one of them. Of course, I guess I shouldn't complain. Watching the news this morning as I was eating breakfast ... diesel in England is (in US dollars) almost $9/gallon. Holy crap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, TJ. That's a good ride! I find it's nice to get the blood flowing a bit before starting work; and the environmental and economical benefits are great.

Tom said...

Thanks. It definitely got the blood flowing, and I felt well ... until around 2:30 pm when my body crashed. I haven't felt that tired in a long time, and I still had to bike home. The ride home was much of the same, and traffic was still pretty good, but I was asleep for the evening by 6. I figure it's just going to take me some time to get acclimated to the entire process.

Now, if the weather would start to cooperate. I'd like to get at least 3 days in of biking each week, and only drive the other 2. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be biking every day.