Wednesday, June 11, 2008

To the car-bound ...

Listen, the road wasn't made JUST. FOR. YOU. A whole lot of people use it, some for the same purposes as you, some for others ... but it really makes no difference. Contrary to what you might think, you DO NOT own the road. I don't care if you're drive a Volkswagen or a F250, the road IS NOT yours. Capische?

Now that we have that settled, let me learn you on something else. Not every vehicle on the road has four (or more) wheels. Some have two. They go by the names motorcycle, moped, and bicycle. THEY TOO are allowed on the road. They have just as much a right to be there as you, whether you think so or not. Got it?

It would behoove you to give them wide berth. Not only is it the courteous thing to do, it's also very wise (something you wouldn't know about yet) and is a safe practice. You never know when a bike chain might break spilling the bicyclist onto the road. If that happens, and you're right on his/her ass, you're going to run them over. It'll probably kill them, and yes it'll probably inconvenience you too. It's definitely going to slow you down from your mad rush to wherever the hell you're going, oblivious to the rest of the road/world.

To the owners of big 2-ton trucks, especially those with trailer side mirrors ... you know the ones that hang out from your truck about two extra feet. IF I CAN SEE MY REFLECTION IN YOUR MIRROR AS SOON AS YOU PASS ME ... YOU'RE TOO DAMN CLOSE! And to those who seemingly refuse to give bicyclists any room when passing, and there is no traffic coming the other way ... you're just an asshole. Why can't you move your vehicle halfway into the other lane? Other than the fact that you're a lazy piece of crap? Well, there is no other reason. Piss off you wanker.

Listen folks, bicycling to work isn't exactly my favorite thing to do at 6:00 in the morning, neither is bicycling home from work at 4:00 in the afternoon which is just about the hottest part of the day. So while I'd like to cut down on my fuel expenses ... I'd rather not lose my life in the process. I'm doing everything I can to make sure I do my part to make the life of myself and everyone else on the road safe and easy. If you think I'm too far over on your side of the white line, it's probably because I don't have anywhere else to go ... and rest assured, when I do have room to move over, I most certainly will. Don't ride my ass, or honk your horn ... I know you're there, I'm not deaf.

And then, when it comes time to talk to your local politicians ... tell them to make all our lives easier and invest in better public transportation and biking lanes on the roads. That way we're all safe and happy.

No comments: