Thursday, June 25, 2009

So my ASM General Meeting ...

... talks arrived in the mail today. If you attended the meeting and wanted to re-hear the oral presentations you could order them from Sound Images @ http://www.e-attend.com. I ordered them, and they arrived.

What a total cluster. Not only do I need to install a program to view the files, I need to open up ports in my firewall to give SI Mosaic access to the internet, and I need to install "Microsoft Silverlight". What the hell is up with that? Why these couldn't just be in a damn MP3/MP4/AVI/QT format is beyond me. Oh yah, probably because of "piracy". I'm sure most ASM microbiologists are going to throw these lectures up on PirateBay. Give me a freakin break. I need to jump through a million hoops just to listen to a couple of damn lectures, how pathetic is that?

4 comments:

microbiologist xx said...

That is pretty damn ridiculous. ASM, in general, seems a little behind the times when it comes to technology.

Did they provide the program that you had to install?

Tom said...

Yeah, I'm not too terribly impressed with ASM lately. I'm thinking of joining another microbiological society, one which is a bit more up-to-date with the times, and which is more in tune with my own research work and needs.

Yes, the provide the program but I've got to admit, I'm not thrilled about it either. It relies on Windows Media Player 11. If it relies on WMP, why couldn't I just use WMP? Stupid.

soil mama said...

what a PITA!

"I'm thinking of joining another microbiological society, one which is a bit more up-to-date with the times, and which is more in tune with my own research work and needs."

I'm curious which society would fit the bill... I'm still not sure what exactly you do, but I was pretty impressed with the ESA soil ecology division. I am generally not impressed with the SSSA soil biology, and Soil Ecology Society is pretty small, and I don't think many people do work quite as "micro" as yourself...

Tom said...

Soil Mama:

I was thinking of ISME as a start. I haven't checked out ESA or SES, and I just submitted my first paper to SSSAJ, so we'll see what I think of them in a couple of months. :P