Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Six weeks?

Read this article over at ESPN: From Hunk to Chunk, and Back Again. Crazy dude decides to gain 90 pounds so he can relate to his clients. I can see where he's coming from, but this is the part that scares me the most.
James says it took about six weeks of training and willpower to finally kick his addiction to junk food and start eating healthy food consistently again.
Yikes! This is what I'm looking forward to as I attempt to lose the 20 pounds I've gained since I stopped running competitively in college.

I should probably start soon ... right after I finish all the Thanksgiving left overs. Nom nom nom.

2 comments:

soil mama said...

umm, did you notice the pic of him "fat"?? that was weird, he looked actually pregnant, not fat. I wonder if his body carried it differently since he gained it so quickly compared to the normal "slow gain" most of us normal folks deal with?

I've heard before that it takes a full 6 weeks of doing something consistently to make or break a habit. that's why it's sooo hard, especially when you're busy or when your schedule fluctuates.

RPS77 said...

Unfortunately, in my experience if one is used to doing things a certain way (for example, eating lots of junk food and not exercising), it takes at least 6 weeks to develop a new pattern, but about 2 or 3 days to revert back to the old pattern. Kind of like 1 week without exercise seems to undo the effects of at least 1 month of exercise. I'm not trying to whine - it just seems like that's the way things are. Of course, I think that someone like me who has had VERY unhealthy habits for most of their life is going to tend to slip back faster and easier than someone who only had slightly unhealthy habits, or someone who has had healthy habits for most of their life and slipped fairly recently. Not that I really should complain - I've regained a couple of pounds but I'm still way down from where I started.