Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Duuuhhhhhh

When you multi-task, you become dumber.
The cult of multitasking would have us believe that compulsive message-checking is the behavior of an always-on, hyper-productive worker. But it’s not. It’s the sign of a distracted employee who misguidedly believes he can do multiple tasks at one time. Science disagrees. People may be able to chew gum and walk at the same time, but they can’t do two or more thinking tasks simultaneously.
I have dual monitors on my desk (well three actually, if you count my linux box that I use for bioinformatics) and one of them has Outlook open on it essentially 24/7. Perhaps I need to rethink having constant access to my email. That would also mean shutting down my BlackBerry Bold 9700 -- a truly sweet little device -- but it may be a sacrifice I need to make for the sake of productivity.

According to a study done by Oklahoma State University (PPT, 28 slides), checking email four times a day, at prescribed times (regime C4, see slide 19), led to the most efficient handling of email and work.

3 comments:

Genomic Repairman said...

Agreed, I need it up to keep up with information and send stuff out ASAP to waiting collaborators, or answer their immediate questions so I don't hold up that work. And man you must be going soft to give credit to anything that comes out of Stillwater.

Genomic Repairman said...

Agreed, I need it up to keep up with information and send stuff out ASAP to waiting collaborators, or answer their immediate questions so I don't hold up that work. And man you must be going soft to give credit to anything that comes out of Stillwater.

soil mama said...

As someone who has 3 screens and 2 operating systems on their desk, I know what you mean... BUT I like to keep my email open so I know when something important comes in. I don't look at all the random emails, but if the boss needs a figure I want to be able to get it to him before he comes to find me (BTDT), or get back to a student if they need a quick reply.

If I were one of those people who got 100+ emails a day, then it would drive me bonkers for it to pop up all the time. But since I usually get less than 30, it's not such a big deal