Thursday, March 25, 2010

See! I told you Facebook is not good for you ...

Use Facebook, Get Syphilis.
Professor Peter Kelly, director of Public Health for NHS Tees, said: "There has been a four-fold increase in the number of syphilis cases detected, with more young women being affected."

He said staff had found a link to social networking sites among those infected.

Prof Kelly said: "I don't get the names of people affected, just figures. And I saw that several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites.

"Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex. There is a rise in syphilis because people are having more sexual partners than 20 years ago and often do not use condoms."

1 comment:

soil mama said...

ummm, this is NOT what I use Facebook for!

I don't get how people are meeting and hooking up via Facebook. I'm only friends with folks that I already know. I imagine blogs and other forum-style networking sites are more of a problem than Facebook when it comes to STD's.