Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Panties In A Wad Alert!

Drama reigns supreme here! And I quote:
That is simply insane. It's a declaration that religion trumps everything, and gives students an escape hatch from learning — biology class would become an exercise in futility, in which lazy, stupid, or religiously indoctrinated students would simply parrot the book of genesis at their instructors, and expect to be given a good grade.
Fortunately, cooler heads prevail here, here, and here. And of course, as of this moment, they're being ignored. Instead, the masses allow themselves to be whipped into a frenzy over basically a non-issue.

What do I think about the issue? I think Rep. Kern should find something more important to do, but that's the way it is with state politics. The only thing Oklahoma has been able to do in the last several years, as a state legislature, AFAIK is institute a tax on the poor (i.e., lottery). Oklahoma has been renowned for their corruption and incompetence at the state level, which is probably why they can't get big business into the state. As a consequence, they rank in the bottom 10 in every category of note. And yes, I spent several years in Oklahoma, attending graduate school, so I know what I'm talking about. I think this bit of legislature is stupid, and I think Rep. Kern is stupid for continually trying to push it through. I think it'll get shot down again.

The other unfortunate effect is that I think it paints theists in a bad light, as if they're all quacks. They're not. I don't think this issue rises to the level of needing to get your knickers in a twist, like a lot of people want. Maybe they miss the days of their youth where they got picked on as kids and received wedgies from the "cool kids", only now they get to rant and rave and "do something about it". I don't know.

No comments: